Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
The mission of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine is to achieve the best perinatal outcomes for mothers and babies by providing the best in pregnancy-related healthcare for high-risk obstetric patients. The medical faculty offers consultation services throughout central and southern New Jersey.
- High-Risk Pregnancy Evaluation and Consultation Service
- 24-hour high-risk pregnancy coverage
- Critical care obstetrics
- Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy, with high-level fetal ultrasound, including 3D/4D technology
- First-trimester genetic/aneuploidy screening (ultrasound and blood test)
- Second-trimester Genetic Sonogram Service
- Amniocentisis, chorionic villus sampling, fetal blood sampling
- Fetal Cardiovascular Evaluation Service/Echocardiography
- Fetal surgery and therapy for twin-twin transfusion syndrome
- Pregnancy Loss and Evaluation Service
- Preterm Birth Evaluation and Prevention Service
- Center for Clinical Outcomes and Continuous Quality Improvement
- Genetic Counseling Service
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
1 Robert Wood Johnson Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
The mission of the Fetal Wellness Center is to provide the most comprehensive, state-of-the-art fetal evaluation and therapy services in the state of New Jersey and one of the best in the country. The Fetal Wellness Center provides ultrasound evaluation for pregnant women whose primary physician's office lacks the ability to perform this (and other) important tests. Information is quickly relayed to the treating physician, so that he or she can manage the pregnancy in the most optimal fashion. The three main elements of the mission are high-quality care, research and education. A wide variety of fetal procedures are also carried out, including targeted sonography to assess fetal anomalies, non-stress tests, biophysical profiles, Doppler velocimetry, fetal echocardiography, percutaneous umbilical blood sampling, chorionic villus sampling, amniocentesis, fetal surgery and first-trimester nuchal translucency combined screening.
The core component of the Fetal Wellness Center is the Antenatal Testing Unit (ATU) at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, which is staffed with maternal-fetal medicine faculty members. In addition, our sonographers cover five examination rooms equipped with state-of-the-art ultrasound machines with color flow Doppler and 3D/4D imaging capabilities. More than 12,000 fetal examinations are performed each year, with a significant portion of the examinations performed on patients referred from regional hospitals and physicians.